?

Log in

No account? Create an account

pause for a moment // random thought - Lograh — LiveJournal

Tuesday, 13.Apr.2004

9:01 - pause for a moment // random thought

Previous Entry Share Flag Next Entry

and consider:

Half the people you see/hear every day are below average.

Comments:

[User Picture]
From:mslulu
Date:9:04 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
Only half?
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]
From:mslulu
Date:9:05 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
I'm pretty sure that all the average to above average people are gathered somewhere far away, and I'm stuck with everyone else.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]
From:artistic_chaos
Date:9:09 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, what she said.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From:witchphaedra
Date:13:34 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
Makes you wonder what it means, truly, to be "average", doesn't it? Wouldn't that mean that the average person is below average?
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]
From:lograh
Date:13:48 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
if you are using "average person" to be the common shmoe you see on the street, then half of them are actually "below average".

Which, as someone who has to deal with the common shmoe on a regular basis, I'm sure you can appreciate the truth thereof.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From:witchphaedra
Date:2:16 14.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
*laughs*

Oh yes... Common shmoe. How... nicely put.

Below average... I'd say, from my personal experience, below average is a high estimate!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From:serenica69
Date:17:55 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
I wonder, in exactly what respect the term "below average" is being used.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]
From:lograh
Date:7:15 26.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
in whatever respect you choose. That's the beauty of statistics (never thought I'd say *that* phrase!). You can one moment decide that "below average" will mean "having an annual income lower than the population average" and it's likely that half the people will fit that criterion. If you decide to consider it then to be "having an ammount of red shirts in their closet lower than the average ammount possesed by an individual", then again half the people would fit that new criterion, though it may (and likely will) be a different set of people (some overlap, perhaps, but most likely not the same).

"average" being defined, in the preceeding, to be the arithmetic mean. The statement does not hold for median or mode averages (which, by their definition, do not exclude half the population sampled).
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]
From:pleckos
Date:17:02 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
With all due respect, you're wrong. It's not half. The actual figure is more like 95%. The remaining 5% is so far above average that it raises the average.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]
From:lograh
Date:17:29 13.Apr.2004 (UTC)
(Link)
heh.. it sure seems that way sometimes, doesn't it?
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)