Anyway, I tried a few new things with the procedure. I used new beans that I got from artistic_chaos, I used distilled water instead of tap water, and I tossed some sugar in with the grinds for the initial heating (before the water was added).
I don't know quite what it was, but something went terribly wrong, and the flavor never really came together for this batch. Each demitass was watery, very light in flavor, and just not quite "there". I suspect it was the adding of the sugar so early on. I usually wait till the water is there to add the sugar, so it dissolves more easilly. I suspect that heating the grinds with sugar might have caused the sugar to bind with the coffee and not allow it to properly react in the boiling.. I'll be trying again this weekend, and try to pin down what happened.